Friday, February 05, 2010

Sleeping peaceful...for now!

Thank God for Ferberizing! We are getting closer to having Sydney's sleep problems solved. When we moved to the new house I decided to put an end to co-sleeping & finally get Sydney into her crib. She's a very flexible baby & it wasn't too difficult of a transition but her sleep habits were inconsistent and it took anywhere from 5 minutes to 2 hours to get her to sleep. I'd have to rock her to sleep or get her to fall asleep on our bed & then transfer her to the crib. This was becoming exhausting. When she was sick I brought her back into our bed for a few nights and it really screwed up both our sleeping. When I tried the crib again she wasn't having it! She is going through the separation anxiety stage & she'd wake up & cry. Stephen or I would rescue her & bring her back to our bed. I knew this couldn't go on any longer when she woke up & crawled onto our nightstand while I was in the bathroom. I found her on the nightstand with my earrings in her mouth a my necklace in her hands! I was in the bathroom for literally a minute! It became to dangerous and we both weren't getting much sleep. We both have dark circles under our eyes to prove it!

I have heard many success stories regarding CIO (Crying it Out) but it is also frowned upon by some. It's a pretty controversial subject & what might be right for one baby might not be right for another. I did very thorough research on the subject and decided to give it a try. I did try the less drastic no cry sleep solutions approach previously and it did not work for Sydney. I (we) were desperate to try anything! I decided to start trying it the day Stephen was out for the night. He can't handle Sydney crying for even 1 minute so I knew this was going to be tough for him. The first night she cried for 20 minutes, which felt like an hour! Ugh, it was tough to hear her. The second night she cried (hard) for 15 minutes. Hearing her made me cry! I came in at the scheduled times to reassure her & by the second visit she was asleep! Night three it was 5 minutes of fussing, night four 3 minutes of fussing and then last night it took 1 minute for her to fall asleep. Getting her down for her naps is a little harder but she has stopped crying and only gives a little fuss. She is waking between 6:30 & 7:15 am again! I know that during this process we may regress, but so far so good! It really was much easier then I envisioned and I don't believe she is "scarred for life" from the process. She is able to soothe herself which I believe is very important. I'm not going to stop rocking her to sleep when she needs it...or when I need it. :) I'm just glad we're both sleeping again. I have to admit that I do miss her in our bed. Sometimes I wish I could bring her back or climb in the crib with her. I miss napping with her but I know the safest place for my little daredevil is in her crib. It makes me sad because it's just another step closer to toddlerhood. I can't believe she's almost 9 months old!

1 comment:

13 is our Lucky Number said...

Brings back memories when we went through the same dilema. it worked really well for us too. And I too had to do it when jimmy was gone. The hardest for us was in Oct when we were on vacay with Barb and Mando but when they saw that he was OK in the morning they understood too. Way to go mommy, daddy and Sydney. Welcome back you sweet dreams.