Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Toy box make-over

I finally finished the "make-over" of Sydney's toy box. I still have to varnish the whole thing but it's just about complete. I am not entirely happy with the way it came out but I put lots of love into it and I really enjoyed being creative again. It's been so long since I've done anything artsy. I'm ready to start creating again. I think I'm getting closer to a happy medium between motherhood, housework & all the other stuff that makes me happy...although I have to say that the housework usually takes a back seat! Life's too short to be stuck inside scrubbing floors.

This is the toy box after I painted the green accents. This was the paint color that was supposed to go on the walls of our bedroom. The hubby was scared of the color so I decided to use it on this project instead.

I painted the middle section white. This paint was supposed to be used for our kitchen baseboards but it didn't match. I put it to good use here.

I sponge painted the top with pink & gold. I'm not too crazy about the way it came out but it was fun playing with color.


The flowers were cut from pretty papers I've been collecting over the years. I used decoupage glue & sealer to affix them to the front of the toy box. The glue & sealer was supposed to dry clear but it had a yellow tint when dry. It looks a little uneven & splotchy and some of the flowers dried bumpy. Hopefully it evens out once it's lacquered. The letters are wood with origami & scrapbooking paper decoupage. I used rhinestones & puffy paint to pretty things up. I loooooove puffy paint. It's the greatest invention...ever!


Here is the (almost) finished toy box. I cut out two little birdies from a note card I've been saving for a few years & hid them among the paper flowers. I'll post some photos of Sydney's room once I lacquer the box and put it back in her room.
Stay tuned...more creativity to come!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You are amazingly creative! What a wonderful job :)

13 is our Lucky Number said...

I think you did a GREAT job. Your daughter is extremely lucky to have a mommy who loves her so much and is as creative as you.